Using the form action file helpdeskticket.inc, it is possible to create a help desk ticket using a form submission. However, the only form fields that will be saved in the ticket are those that match the fields in the help desk record (such as "content" and "Help desk category").
There are times when you may want users to fill out a form with detailed information (for example, to request service on a product they purchased, you may want them to include model number, serial number, date of purchase, etc.). To do this, you will need to create custom fields. The following steps assume that you have already created the form you want the user to submit and a help desk type to match the form. To link the form fields to custom fields in a help desk ticket, do the following:
- Go to System > Custom Fields > Custom Field Builder.
- For each of the form fields you created, do the following:
- Click Add.
- Custom Field Code and Description should match the name of the form field.
- For Custom Field Type, choose Help Desk.
- Choose the appropriate Field Type. If it's a dropdown list with choices, you'll want to fill in the choices at the bottom of the page.
- Once all your custom fields are created, go to Help Desk > Types, open up the help desk type you created for your form, and on the Data tab, move all the custom fields that you need to the right side in the selector box.
- In Website > Forms > Fields, open each form field for the service request and choose the new custom field you created in the Custom Field dropdown.
Once the form has been submitted, you should see the custom fields showing up under the Content box on the Help Desk Dashboard.