Adding the Printer
- Navigate to Printers & Scanners.
- Click (+) and choose Add Printers & Scanners.
- A new pop-up window will show up.
- Choose your Zebra Printer. It should be displayed as follows:
- In the Use section below, select Select Software...
- You may choose your preferred driver language. If you do not know which language to use, you may choose ZPL.
- The final setup should look as below. Go ahead and click Add to add the printer.
Logging into CUPS
- You will be able to access the CUPS printer setting page by visiting http://localhost:631/printers/. You may also copy and paste it into Safari.
- In some instances, you may encounter the following error:
- To enable CUPS Control, select and copy 'cupsctl WebInterface=yes'.
- Next, click the magnifying glass in the top right-hand corner of your screen and search for Terminal.
- Once in the terminal, paste in cupsctl WebInterface=yes, and press enter.
- You should now be able to go to http://localhost:631/printers/ and see your installed printers.
Modifying Printer Settings in CUPS
- On the http://localhost:631/printers/ main page, click the Printers tab. It should be located in the top-right section of the page.
- You may now view or select your printer.
- Choose Set Default Options from the drop-down menu.
- Click Generalfor general printer settings. Set the settings accordingly:
- Media size = set according to the label loaded in the printer
- Resolution = MUST set according to the printer dpi (203dpi, 300dpi or 600dpi)
- Media tracking=
- Continuous - Using media or continuous form (no gaps, notches, black marks for the top of the form detection).
- Mark Sensing - Using media that has a black mark for the top of the form detection.
- Web Sensing - Using media with gaps between labels, notch, or a hole to detect the top of the form.
- Media Type=
- Thermal Transfer - Printing with ribbon on thermal transfer paper.
- Thermal Direct - Printing on heat-sensitive paper (no ribbon used).
- Click Set Default Options. If prompted Authentication Required to enter username and password, enter your MAC's account credential.
- Go to Printer Settings for further modification. You may follow the setting as below:
- You may set Darkness and Print Rate (Speed) at your own preference to adjust print quality.
- Top - This modifies the default vertical image start position to compensate for differences between the printer top of the form.
- Tear Off - This modifies the resting position of the label to allow user adjustment of the gap over the tear bar or the cut location of the cutter function.
- Click Set Default Options. If prompted Authentication Required, enter your Mac account's credentials.
Printing a Test Page
- From the Printers page in CUPS, select Print Test Page from the drop-down menu to print a test page.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Sorry! We couldn't be helpful
Thank you for your feedback
We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article